The season is changing and people often get sick during these times and a while ago there was a virus going around, so I figured I’ll make a post about how I take care of myself when I am sick.
Honestly, there is not much to it, I use to buy all kinds of sick/flu pills & syrups and I stopped buying them because I wanted my body to learn to fight colds a little more naturally.
My remedies/techniques for getting rid of a cold fast:
- I make myself or ask my mom to make me any kind of vegetable soup, or I love this rice and ground beef soup my mom makes. It is very important to keep your body well nourished during a cold.
- I get all the sleep needed! This is my favourite, I love sleeping, well who doesn’t? Your body needs to rest and gain the energy needed to kick the colds ass.
- I drink lots of water and juice, I do not drink a lot of juice on a regular basis, but I love getting Sunny D and Apple Juice when I have a cold. Your body also needs a lot of fluids to flush out the cold. I also love drinking lemon water, I drink it cold or if I warm to it I put honey.
- TEA!! I could have put this in with the 3rd one, but no, Tea gets its own point. I love tea and I have various teas and when I am sick I like to mix them. For example, I love to mix a detox tea and ginger tea. I also drink a lot of Kombucha Green Tea. I also put honey in my tea if I have a sore throat because honey helps soothe a sore throat.
- The only ‘medicine’ I take is Advil, once in the morning and again before going to bed. It helps with any body aches, headaches and it helps me sleep at night.
- If my nose is stuffy, I use a saline solution spray for decongestion.
I might totally be jinxing myself, but in 2017 I did not get sick as many times as I did in the previous years, so I am hoping that 2018 will be an even greater year.
My daily habits also help me avoid catching a cold from others. I work as a cellphones sales representative so I touch a lot of peoples phones, but we have a few hand sanitizers in the kiosk so I keep my hands clean. When I rid the subway I do not touch the handrails, I steady myself on my own. I avoid touching my face when I am out shopping or doing anything because I might have touched something that will transfer bacterias. And most importantly, I always wash my hands when I finish with the bathroom and before I eat.
Do you have any great methods or old family tricks to share?